Rarely is a couple’s argument one-sided. Even though money is one of the arguments that come up again and again, many times, money fights really aren’t about money.
On today’s episode of The His & Her Money Show, we interview Cora Hietpas to talk to us about how to handle the dynamic of merging marriage and money successfully.
It is important for a couple to recognize each other’s core values surrounding money. In many cases, values in money are different from each individual but are rarely talked about before and many years after committing to a relationship. Cora emphasizes for couples to express their values in money as early as possible, in order to resolve any upcoming issues.
Cora also teaches us on how to deal with complications if your spouse’s value in money is different from yours. She believes that there has to be a coming-together, a compromise for each partner to lean-in toward one another, to get to that middle ground and to reach a happy place for everyone.
Cora is a licensed marriage and family therapist and the owner of Carolina Growth & Wellness . She specializes in seeing couples with the desire to create change in their relationship.
What You Will Learn In This Episode
- The advantages of being open to seeking helpful information and help for issues in your relationship.
- The importance of premarital counsel.
- How to talk to your partner about money issues in the relationship.
- Why paying attention to your and your partner’s upbringing in finance is crucial on evaluating each values on money.
- An exercise for couples to keep track on their spouse’s values and thoughts, and build a strong team.
- Cora’s advice to people having conflicts with their spouses due to money issues.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Money Harmony — by Olivia Mellan
- You Paid How Much For That? — by Natalie H. Jenkins
- Money Talks — by Talaat and Tai McNeely
Thank You For Listening!
Thanks for tuning into us on The His & Her Money Show. If you have any comments or questions about today’s episode, please let us know your thoughts in the comment section below. If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The His & Her Money Show on iTunes!Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we do read each and every one of them.
Thanks to PolicyGenius.com for sponsoring our podcast. PolicyGenius is the easiest site to shop for term life insurance. You can find the best policy in just 5 minutes!